Shortly after moving to California I called my mom to tell her that she just needed to come down because I had no idea what I was doing and needed her...desperately. I was feeling nervous about the decorating aspect of moving into a new apartment. You see, up until now I have lived in either a place with cinder-block walls and where I hung pictures was predetermined, or in an apartment where I was not allowed to hang anything. So naturally I was feeling overwhelmed looking at all of my pictures wondering which to hang up and where they go.
My mom agreed to come down and arranged to drive down the same time my younger brother was already coming down for his Disneyland trip with is sweet wife, Michelle.
It was fun to have my parents unwind and relax with Justin and Michelle. I envy my brother sometimes, the way he can get my mom to laugh by doing things that she would roll her eyes at anybody else doing.
Wait a second...Did I just say that it was fun to have my parents unwind a relax??? That can't be right. That is simply not in my mother's nature while visiting any of her children. Dad, yes...Mom, no!
During the 3 days of visiting we successfully accomplished:
A trip to IKEA for lamps
Cleaning my fridge
Buying paint at Sherwin Williams
Stripping my end table
Staining my end table
Sanding the table and stool
Painting a table and stool
Building a garden box
Painting Eliza's mirror
Painting some shelves for Eliza's room
Convincing Jessie to paint Eliza's dressers
Hanging pictures
Fixing lots of yummy food
Several Naps (at least on Dad's part)
A play for Cousin's Camp
A play for Cousin's Camp
Despite all of this work we were still able to enjoy a very windy trip to the beach as well as visit the Korean Friendship Bell.
Ryan and I were even able to go on a date up to Malibu for the sunset while my parent babysat.
It was a great weekend that flew by too quickly. I wish they could have all stayed a week or two longer. I have a wonderful family who is willing to come and spend time with me, if only for moral support.
Oh my gosh--Justin is so grown up (and hairy). It is so weird to me that we used to all see each other on a regular basis, and now it's years apart before we even see each other. Thank goodness for blogs.
ReplyDeleteI love the list of everything you and your Mom did. Eliza is sooooo lucky she gets a Grandma Smith!
Love that human totem pole! It looks like you are getting settled into your new place quite well! We sure miss you guys! Give Eliza a hug for us!
ReplyDelete